Inspired by the strong belief that – “Dignity of man is the Glory of God ” the Bishop of Galle (Most Rev. Dr. Harold Anthony Perera) set up an organization called CoDeSeP meaning “Community Development Service for Plantations” to implement projects to uplift the underprivileged people in the Plantation Sector in the Southern Province and to restore their lost Dignity.
In February 2006,Codesep launched it very first activitiy namely bringing together the Educated Youth of the Platation Sector in the Province and making them aware of theier resposiblity towards their own Community.As a result 22 of them who had education upto Advansed Level joined Codesep as Volunteer Teachers.They were given a small amount of allowance ,which was made possible by the generocity of two Jesuit Priests Rev.Fr.Steffenetzie and Rev.Fr.Maria Anthony.
Mean while His Lordship Most Rev. Dr.Harold Anthony Perera ,the Bishop of Galle took a personal interest and submitted the Project Proposals to Caritas Belgium,who later became our main Funding Partner. With the Funds made available by Caritas Belgium Codesep launched its second Project in February 2007. Though Codesep initially included the Estates in the Districts of Galle and tried to carry out some of its activities for the first four months ,due to so many constraints, and non availability of persons to be full time Animators,Codesep withdrew and limited itself to Estates Sector under the Divisional Secretariats of Kotapola,Pitabeddara,Akuressa,and Pasgoda in the District of Matara.
Based on the Gospel values of Justice, Peace and Love, a Better Life for the People of the Plantations in the Southern Province, irrespective of race and religion
– Establishment of
A - human dignity and self respect within each human being of this underprivileged and marginalized sector of the Plantation People in the Southern Province.
B – the social integration of the minority Indian origin Tamils on the estates and the majority Sinhalese of the surrounding villages, with Peace and Harmony among them
The Outcome of the Programme.
(1) Improved and better life for them through Education, Awareness, Animation and Group building.
(2) Improved Industry as a result of a duty-conscious and dedicated work force.
(3) Improved and better citizens for the country at large.
- 1) Selection of dedicated persons from the Plantations and training and animating them as fulltime Animators and assigning them with tasks.
- 2) Introducing the Project to Individuals and Groups of persons ,connected to the life and work among the plantation people –Managers ,Superintendents, Welfair supervisers, GAs, AGAs, Gramasevakas, and Officials from the Department of Education Police and Health.
- 3) With the permission of the Estate management of each estate, the visits by Animators to the Estates to collect baseline information to formulate plans of action.
- 4) Worker-group discussions to emphasize the equal importance of duties and rights.
- 5) Formation of Groups.
B. Once Groups are organized
- 1) Monthly meetings to work out an Action Plan for the month.
- 2) Shramadhana,
- 3) Literacy class for elders, and focusing on social issues like alcoholism health hazards, registering and getting Birth certificates and IDs, formation of a thrift society, leadership training, family budget, etc
- 4) Formal and Informal education.-such as organizing extra evening classes and periodical seminars for difficult subjects in preparation for Year 05 Scholarship Examination and the O/L & A/L Examinations
- 5) A scholarships for students at O/L & A/L
- 6) Vocational training for the youth. to extend job opportunities.
- 7) Competitions in sports, the arts and drama to promote Peace among Youth.
- 8) Activities in connection with all National and cultural Festival
- 9) Training the Estate young women as Health Workers
- 10) Organizing special seminars for pregnant and young mothers.